Friday, April 9, 2010

Celebration

A celebration to last throughout the years
So bring your good times, and your laughter too
We gonna celebrate your party with you
(10 Bonus points for whomever can name that song)


Any of you who have set foot in my house, or even peeked through my windows know that I am a.....

celebrator

ˈse-lə-ˌbrā-tər\ noun

1 : to observe a holiday, perform a religious ceremony, or take part in a festival
2 : to observe a notable occasion with festivities

I am a celebrator. I come for a long line of celebrators. This way of life has been instilled in both me and my sister by my mother, and in her by her mother. In fact, I'm suspect that if my roots were traced back to the Germanic tribes, there would be a women standing outside her hut with a smile on her face, and this hut would stand out from all others because it was adorned with various obscure little artifacts that celebrate some sort of pagan holiday. And the idea that I'm still carrying this way of life in my hut makes me smile. Why do I decorate? Why do I spend my time, and money and effort this way. Because in the rush of day to day life, I feel we need to be reminded that something special is coming. Whether it's a Bunny, a Groundhog, a Savior (Lord, please forgive me for placing you after the ground hog, it just flows better...). When the effort is not made to make these occasions stand out, it's easy for them to seemingly blend into the grayness of Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and to me that makes life dull and sad. So being a decorator, I take it upon myself to announce to the world from my hut. " It's not just a Thursday in November, its THANKSGIVING!"
 I LOVE that you can walk into my house any time of year, and know exactly what holiday is coming up next. I love you can walk into my bathroom October 1st and be greeted by a pumpkin toilet seat cover and black cat hand towels. I Love that my husband unobtrusively collects the ever revolving totes of decorations, stores them and then returns with the next seasons, all the while only commenting on how nice the house looks with the St. Patrick Day Stuff up. Finally I love that my blood ties run strong, and my little decorators eyes light up with each newspaper wrapped treasure I pull out of the box to be put up for display.
I am already grooming them you know.... Since they were born I've been squirreling away decorations, labeled & dated, before you know it I'll be be handing over their totes full of decorations for there homes. And on that day I will smile, and my mother will smile, and the women standing next to her hut in heaven will smile.



I'm curious... I'm sure the legions (ha ha) of you reading this out there posses some trait that while seemingly off kilter to the rest of the world is so strongly embedded in your DNA that you will carry it on as long as you live. I'd love to hear about... post it! please! :)


Celebrating Easter
I think everyone is in agreement that we were blessed with a beautiful day for Easter this year.
It's always more enjoyable to hunt Easter eggs around the yard instead of around the living room.

We started the tradition of watching the 1971 cult classic "Here Comes Peter Cottontail" by Jules Bass and Arthur Rankin Jr..
 I absolutely love this movie, well actually I love anything where Casey Kasem does a voice over. They just don't make kids animation like that anymore.

We have a rather odd Easter egg tradition at our house. Neither Brian nor myself are really big hard boiled egg fans. So come Easter, I boil the eggs, and since I don't make hard boiled eggs, I've never bothered to actually look up how long you should boil an egg, I just know that I don't want any runny goo leaking out should I inevitably drop 1 or 4. So by my calculations 2 or 3 hours seems a like a good boiling time. Then we color the eggs, then they sit on the counter for a couple days. Then comes the fun part. We take the eggs over to the woods and throw them in as far as we can, for the raccoons. Cricket and Biscuit think this is the absolute best thing since sliced bread. I laugh when I look forward...It will be quite puzzling for them, when they grow up ant get involved with other families Easters and see other families actually eating what they have deemed for so long as raccoon food.


A few snapshots of our Easter Morning




Hope you all had a wonderful time celebrating Easter!


Doreen wins last months guess, It's actually "I wish I had a river" but close enough :)
So many people have covered it...Originally sung by Joni Mitchell, but has also been covered by Allison Crowe, Robert Downey Jr. and of course Sarah McLachlan.
Good Job D! 10 points for you.


2 comments:

  1. I grew up in a house similar to yours. In my heart, I am still this person, but my house if very rarely (if ever) decorated in time for any holiday. So I envy your enthusiasm and commitment to making each holiday special.

    As for launching eggs in the woods for the racoons? Well, every family has it's special traditions. Although, after being boiled for 3 hours I wonder if even the racoons would even touch them??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to be married to a Celebrator!
    I'll be working on changing my status from Unobtrusive to Athirst and maybe even eventually Eagar when it comes to my decoration delivery duties.....

    and for the bonus points (It's pretty easy when the answer is already given):
    Celebration by Kool & The Gang

    ReplyDelete